What would you like to experience in church?

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

From whence we came

I wanted to take a moment to comment on a conversation I had while sitting in the home of a 92 year old former treasurer of Pine Log UMC. The story goes very simply that I was out for a little visitation and came upon this sweet lady and we began an hour long conversation that touched my heart. You see, she served our church for over forty years as the treasurer, in a world where we cannot get Sunday School teachers to commit to a WHOLE year, I was amazed by her.
This blog is not about commitment as much as it is about those who paved the road we are all now walking on. Maxie, the lady I was visiting, was married to Carl for many wonderful years and said goodbye to him way to early in their marriage. Carl was a man that has earned my respect even without having ever known him. You see Carl wanted his own preacher and wanted Pine Log to come off the circuit with White UMC. So much did Carl want this that he spear headed the building of a beautiful parsonage, I live there it is amazing, and also worked to make the move to station status with one preacher to Pine Log, my church.
I listened as Maxie told me all the sacrifices people made to see that house built and the faith leap that was taken to allow a full-pastor to come here. I was moved and got somewhat emotional. Carl and others like him are the direct reason I have a place to serve and a home to call my own and a place to raise my children. I will not be coy, Tina and I are in love with this place. Head over heals to be exact. This may seem a little premature but then love at first sight often does, but in the end those are the loves that usually turn out the best.
Today I am so thankful for those who have worked to and continue to work to allow me the opportunity to follow this great calling God has on my life. Thank you Carl and all those like you. I love the house, the people and the church. I will work hard to earn what you have provided.
Blessings, Geoff

No comments:

Post a Comment